What do you know about Green Lipped Mussels (Not Muscles!!)
These aren’t something you would order at your favorite seafood restaurant, but rather a unique mollusk that could help your senior dog who is suffering from joint pain!
Researchers studied green-lipped mussels and tested their effectiveness and safety in relieving symptoms of osteoarthritis in humans and dogs. Arthritis, also called degenerative joint disease, is the number one cause of chronic pain in dogs, according to the AKC Canine Health Foundation. Statistics state that one in five dogs will develop this disease with some as young as one year old!
Our dog, Poppy, a Doberman mix, was only 2 years old when she ruptured one of her CCL’s. The Cranial Cruciate Ligament (known as the ACL in humans) is one of several ligaments in the knee that connects the femur (thigh bone) to the tibia (shin bone). As predicted, within 6 months, the other hind knee CCL tore as well. We were fortunate to have an orthopedic veterinarian repair both joints. However, the prognosis was that she would develop arthritis at some point. That’s where the story of Green-Lipped Sea Mussels impacted her life significantly!
Scientists have studied the Maori people who live in New Zealand and have regularly eaten the local green-lipped mussels for centuries. Research has revealed that the Maoris who live on the coast and eat a regular diet of mussels have an extremely low incidence of arthritis. For Maoris who live inland and don’t eat the mussels, this is not the case.
Clemson University researchers found that GLM’s contain a high level of omega-3 and other fatty acids that can improve joint lubrication, reduce inflammation, stiffness, and joint pain, as well as improve mobility and range of motion. It appears that these mussels contain an ingredient that can provide pain relief equal to that of anti-inflammatory drugs! (NSAIDS). There are components of GLM’s that can slow additional deterioration of the cartilage, and possibly regenerate joint cartilage and synovial fluid!
The AKC (American Kennel Club) gives GLM’s a high recommendation:
Safety characteristics of GLM include:
- Preparations made from green-lipped mussels have proven to be as efficient as NSAIDs at reducing inflammation, but GLM is well tolerated without any of the side effects of NSAIDs, including vomiting, diarrhea, ulcers, and bleeding.
- New Zealand waters where the mussels are grown are tested regularly for biotoxins, and if levels exceed national limits, the mussels aren’t harvested, making the risk of mussel products containing biotoxins very low.
- GLM is safe for dogs of all ages; there are no minimum age restrictions. Because of its safety profile, giving GLM from a young age can be beneficial to maintaining healthy joints and delaying the onset of arthritis.
- GLM is safe to take with other medications. There have been no reports of GLM interacting with other medications.
You might be surprised that not all Glucosamine Products contain the Green Lipped Mussels! One of the more popular products on the market contains:
What Poppy takes and now recommends contains:
- Glucosamine, Green-Lipped Mussel, Chondroitin Sulfate, and Hyaluronic Acid promote thick, viscous joint fluid to absorb concussion within the body or joints.
- MSM helps to manage aches and discomfort associated with normal everyday activity.
- Yucca, Turmeric, Corydalis, and Boswellia are herbs that help to maintain joint, and bone and support soft tissue health while managing discomfort caused by normal, everyday activities.
- Unlike chalky tablets and pills, these are so tasty your dog will LOVE them!
- Developed by Veterinarians and Nutritionists
- Made in the U.S.A.
Are you ready to find out what it is? CLICK HERE to find out!